Thursday, January 8, 2009

Move Over Martha

Okay, I admit it. I am a closet "Foodie". I think the employees at Central Market know me by name. It's where I choose to 'kill time' or get an instant 'pick-me-up'. I love looking at the beautiful fruits and vegetables and wonder what I could make with them. I love to meander past the incredible fish and meat counters and anticipate the smell of crisp Applewood smoked bacon, or the taste of a perfectly grilled New York strip steak. And who would have thought that chicken could taste so different when it is organic and air-chilled? Their bakery is truly a carbohydrate addict's worst nightmare! The beautiful breads and pastries remind me of being in Paris, where you can make an unforgetable meal out of a simple, fresh baquette and beautiful hunk of cheese.

I cannot leave any grocery store without buying one of the latest cooking magazines. (Don't ask me why I just don't subscribe to them?) And I count down the days when a new cookbook is due out from one of my favorite TV chefs (Ina, Giada and yes, Martha just to name a few). I live vicariously through these talented chefs. I admire them for pursuing their personal passion and sharing it with all of us. They look like they are having fun doing what they love to do.

Here are a few quotes from one of my new favorite entertaining books - The Gathering of Friends: "When someone comes to your home and sits at your table and breaks bread with you, your relationship is forever changed." "To women everywhere who are part of this grand sisterhood, who derive great pleasure from hearth and home, there is something wonderful about carefully preparing and sharing a meal with another." "Food is a love language." I believe this. Think of the last time you shared a delicious, memorable Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with your loved ones. You know that a beautiful homemade birthday cake always tastes better than a store bought one. Remember the last time a neighbor or your sweet Visiting Teachers came by with their special Raspberry Bars or Snickerdoodles? Or a faithful Home Teacher dropped by with his coveted homemade toffee because he was just thinking about you? Think about the feelings of gratitude that overwhelmed you when that first, delicious, homemade meal was delivered after the birth of your last baby? Or how honored you were to serve and share a special meal with the missionaries. You know there was a thankful mother somewhere in the world grateful for your willingness to feed her son while he is on the Lord's errand. Who can forget the intoxicating smell of your mother's freshly baked homemade bread as you walked into the house from a long day at school? Yes, food truly is a love language. It has the ability to help us make special memories. It also has a way of helping us recall fond memories from our past.

One of my personal goals is to become a really good cook and share this language of love with those whom I love and adore. I would also like to be a better entertainer and table-scaper (is that a word?) So instead of just wishing, I actually enrolled in a 14 week course at the Culinary Institute of Fort Worth. Tonight was our orientation. After doing some last minute paper work, we took a tour of the facility; the pantry, freezer, work areas, ovens, stoves, dish and utensil areas and dining rooms. We tried on our new uniform and received our textbooks. I am so excited! (and a little nervous). This is not just your average cooking class. This is FOR REAL! Homework, required labs (Sunday brunch, special events etc.), uniforms, knife kits - the works!

I want to thank my handsome husband for always supporting my dreams. I'm excited to share this Language of Love not only with him, but all of you!
A real chef's coat, chef pants, and textbooks.

The Culinary School of Fort Worth, located on Camp Bowie Boulevard above the La Madelaine restaurant. (I promise, they're not offiliated with the Papparotti's Wine Room.)

The door the culinary students enter. (Not the main entrance.)

5 comments:

  1. Yee Haa! the time is finally here! I would love to be your guinnea pig whenever you need to try out a new recipe. Have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dina, you are already an amazing cook and entertainer/table scaper! I am so grateful that you were my visiting teacher. You were the one who brought me a meal as soon as I was home from the hospital with Porter. I'll never forget it, either, because it was on a tray with pretty napkins draped underneath, and I think there were fresh flowers, too. And you always came to visit with a homemade treat! Have a great time at school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write beautifully, honey. I look forward to hearing about all the things you are learning at the institute. Wish I could join you!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! I have to admit I think this sounds so fun!! How on earth can you get any better than you are already?? Love ya.

    Can't wait to hear all about what you are learning!

    ReplyDelete