Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grateful Sundays

"This is a wonderful time to be living here on earth. Our opportunities are limitless. While there are some things wrong in the world today, there are many things right, such as teachers who teach, ministers who minister, marriages that make it, parents who sacrifice, and friends who help."

"We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues."

- Thomas S. Monson -

Another week has come and gone. Here's a few things I'm grateful for.

* Primary Music. Did you know that you can 'sing the gospel?' Every gospel truth can be taught through any simple Primary song. Today, I had the great pleasure of attending four, yes, four Primaries. In each ward, the children were learning the gospel through word and song. They were learning simple gospels truths like, "I Feel My Savior's Love." "When Jesus Christ was Baptized..." "I Think the World is Glorious..." "I'll Seek the Lord Early While In My Youth..." ...Families Can Be Together Forever..." and "I Am a Child of God." I am grateful for the simple truths taught through Primary music that stay with us the rest of our lives. Thank you.

* Report Cards. I am thankful for Report Cards. It's a wonderful way for my kids to get recognition for their hard work and study habits. It's also a gentle reminder that we can always improve. Every day is a new beginning. Thank you.

* Gray Days. I am thankful for the kind of gray, drizzly days that make you want to put a pot of soup on the stove, a fresh loaf of bread in the oven and settle down with a good book. Yesterday, was just that kind of gray day. I cleaned out both of my pantries from top to bottom. It took all day. That's okay. As I open each pantry and take a deep breath, I see the reward of a hard days work. Maybe the next gray day, I'll make that pot of soup and loaf of bread and settle down with my newest favorite book. Thanks for the gray day.

* Presidents. On Tuesday, I watched TV all day. I witnessed what reporters were calling one of the greatest things to be witnessed in our day, the peaceful transfer of power from one president to another. I have to say, I was slightly emotional as I watched President George W. Bush end his stewardship as the Leader of our Nation. As he waved to the people one last time before boarding the former Airforce One, a single tear slipped down my cheek as I silently thanked him for keeping me and my family safe for the last 7 1/2 years. We will never know the immensity that sits upon the shoulders of the President of the United States. But, I am grateful for the former President's character, values, optimism and unending service to our nation. Thank you, Mr. President.

* A Weekend with my Handsome Husband and the Kids. Nothing special. It was just great to have everyone home together this last weekend. Kellie had a friend sleep over. Sydnie did some babysitting. Mikenzie did a few hours of geneology at Sister Williams. Blake rode scooters nearly all weekend. And me? Well, besides my pantries, I enjoyed doing mostly nothing. Just enjoyed the 'noise' that a happy family makes. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dina! Just found you via Lauren's blog! Great looking blog you have hear! It's sad to not see you and everyone on Sundays and at fun church outings. But it's nice to know we can touch base through blogs! Hope your week is going well, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! It was very timely for me as I was having a serious self pity day on Sunday. There is so much to be grateful for. Thanks for being the kind of person that helps me remember that! I love you.

    ReplyDelete