Friday, January 23, 2009

And Five of Them Were Wise...

"Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh." (Matthew 25:1-13)

Last night was the first Relief Society Home, Family and Personal Enrichment night of the year. The theme that our Relief Society presidency has chosen for 2009 is, "And Five of Them Were Wise" from the parable of the ten virgins, found in the New Testament. Christine and her presidency, Stacey, Jackie and Jill (how funny... Jackie and Jill...) did a fantastic job of planning this great event. It was a wonderful evening. The food was delicious. Beautiful fresh fruit and vegetables, delicious savory dips and crackers, wonderful meatballs, chewey chocolate chip cookies, and a spectacular chocolate fountain, complete with everything you ever thought you'd like to dip in chocolate!

Stacey and Merlaine introduced the different activity groups that will be available for us all to join. Service; serving together at the Bishop's Storehouse, Union Gospel Mission, Keller Community Storehouse or anywhere we can be of service to others in our community. Literacy; learning tips on writing our own personal or family histories, poetry, etc. Food; getting together to enjoy a new restaurant, or learning how to cook something yummy and delicious at someone's home. And, 'Let's See DFW'; going together to visit a museum, great shopping, or anywhere really interesting in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They all sound like fun! It's always great getting together with other sisters in our ward to experience new and exciting things.

After everyone had a bite to eat, Christine introduced the theme of the year and invited me to sing a song, entitled, "When He Comes for Me." I've been working on this song for a little over a week, trying to polish it up so it would be ready. I think I've listened to the CD at least a hundred times, singing along with the vocals. Everytime I got in car alone in the last week, I'd sing along to the performance track and try to get the words down. The lyrics are beautiful. Here they are:

We are all invited to the feast.
Each of us is welcome from the greatest to the least.
We hold the invitation in our hands.
It's written in each crevice of our own lamp.
I promise I'll prepare to be there on that day.
Dancing in the glory as we celebrate.

(Chorus)
Like a lamp - the Master planned each of us with His grand design.
The oil is the light I will burn through the night as I wait for Him to come again.
There will always be enough if I run to Him to fill it up.
Drop by drop by drop. 'Til I know him perfectly, when He comes to me.

Humble hearts are waiting for the day.
Faithfully preparing for the chance to light His way.
Guardians of the vessels that will burn,
Watching for the Master to return.
Maker of the gift that only He can fill,
Keeper of the precious oil is waiting still.

And I will kiss the hands that made my lamp.
When He comes again, I will honor Him.

I'll be worthy of my King, when He comes for me.


Christine did a wonderful job of sharing her thoughts and testimony of why her presidency chose this theme this year. With hopes that we each would feel a sense of urgency to be prepared, both physically and spiritually for any challenges that might come our way. With hopes that we might be found as the wise virgins were, with enough oil to sustain us in the darkness. That we each might be found ready, when He comes again.

Christine shared with us another scripture, "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God." (D&C 88:119) Her admonition to us, was to not feel overwhelmed at the thought of doing everything immediately. Just as we wouldn't suggest to our children to cram for a test, neither should we cram to be prepared. Just take one step at a time, having the desire in our heart to movie in a posative direction and then take action.

I love these women. I count myself extremely blessed to have them not only as my leaders, but also as my closest friends. I love being around them. I want to be more like them. Their laughter is contagious and the spirit around them is intoxicating. They make me want to be better and do better. They bring out the best in me. I am a better person for having them in my life. I can only hope that in some small way, I can add something to their lives because they have added so much to mine.


With the perfect 'Stacey Touch'

Death By Chocolate!


What a wonderful group of sisters.
(Fantastic Turn Out!!!)


Food, food and more food.


Getting ready to hear from our Presidency.
(Notice the tiny lamp on the box on the table.
You better have you're own oil. There truly wouldn't
be enough to share, even if we wanted to.)
Thanks for a memorable evening!!

3 comments:

  1. i found your blog, dina!! and i had a really good time at enrichment, too. i feel very lucky to be in this ward where everyone seems to geniunely care for one another.
    and your song was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad I could not go to this! Strep stinks! But, I am so thankful that you did such a great job posting about it. I feel like I, at least, got a peak into, what I know, was a fantastic evening! Thank you Dina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I wish I knew how to copy and past your erty but I don't!! :) I LOVE you lady. You are such a wonderful friend, help and insperation. Your song was BEAUTIFUL!!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete