Thursday, January 15, 2009

Culinary School of Fort Worth - Week 1 - Knife Skills

What a fun day! Today was my first 'real' class at the Culinary School of Fort Worth. It was actually fun getting ready early this morning, dressing in my uniform, packing my book bag and driving unrushed into Fort Worth on a beautiful, crisp morning. There are seven other students in my class. I am looking forward to getting to know them better.

We spent the first part of the morning discussing sanitation and food safety. Did you know the danger zone for food is between 40 and 140 degrees? Or that food needs to be reheated to at least 165 to be safe? Most things not heated to at least 140 degrees might lead to a food bourne illness? Moral of the story: Be careful of cross-contamination, keep cold things cold and hot things hot. (Oh, and wash, Wash, WASH your hands!!)

The rest of the day was spent learning knife skills. We were each given a gorgeous set of Wusthof knives; a 3"paring, a 6" boning, an 8" chef and a 7" off-set handled bread knife. SHARP!!! (But, oh man, did they cut good!!!) We learned the correct way to hold a knife. You know how you point your index finger down the knife? Don't do that! All the fingers are wrapped around the handle of the knife. Your other hand is cupped like a claw and you use your knuckes as a guide. And just like there is follow-through in tennis, you follow-through with a cut on the board with a slight slide forward. We practiced our knife skills on a potato, carrot, celery and finally an onion. We learned how to julienne (1/8" x 1/8" x 2") , small dice (1/4" cube), battonet (1/4" x 1/4" x 2") and brunoise (1/8" cube) these vegetables.

I couldn't get over the waste that occurs in a professional kitchen. They kept reminding us that 50 pounds of potatoes only cost them $11, so it was okay to waste half the potato making a perfect rectangle. (Okay, if you say so...) My task this week is to buy 5 pounds of potatoes, carrots and onions and practice my knife skills? Can you say "Vegetable Soup"?

Next Week: Mise en Place and Stock


Our small diced potatoes, sliced celery, and julienned carrots

It was time to take a break and my classmate Brandon and I stayed and finished julienning our carrots because I didn't want them to go in the trash.


The White Board with the terms and dimensions.


My new friend and classmate, Monica, helping herself to the lunch they had prepared for us. It was fabulous French onion soup, melted Parmesan cheese on toasted baguette and fresh fruit. Yummy!

(Don't laugh at the hat!) My new friends, Robin, Bella and Monica.

3 comments:

  1. My dear sweet friend, Dina Dina, how FUN! I have always wanted to go to Culinary school, way to go! I LOVED your primary breakfast as well, I have a feeling you will be teaching your new friends a thing or two..definitely, MOVE over Martha..have you met Dina"...Sure love ya! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM so proud of you!! It looks like a balst! I can't wait to see all of th ideas this gives you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto stacey's comment! i can't wait to watch you in action!

    ReplyDelete