Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm Too Young For This!!

It seems like yesterday I was the one who was sixteen and eagerly anticipating a 'prized', authentic, personal drivers license.

Today, I am the mom of a sixteen year old who has been eagerly anticipating her own 'prized', authentic, personal drivers license.

For those of you who think this day will never come as you rock your babies to sleep, let me tell that it will!!

Follow me. I'll show you just what you have to look forward to...

First, on the day she gets her driver's license, you let your sixteen year old 'skip' school. It's only one day. Come, on. You know you skipped a day of school here and there, too. Make a special day of it. Plus, it's the only way you won't have to wait HOURS at the DMV. Then, leave REAL early!! If the DMV opens up at 9, leave at 8. Unless you want to listen to a whole book on tape on your IPOD, leave early. We were lucky! Today we were in and out in about 45 minutes. Woo Hoo!!

After giving the 'efficient' government employee all of her paperwork, Mikenzie was told to fill out another simple paper. Yes, she is an American citizen. No, she has not been convicted of any drug or other serious charges. At least in the last two years. No, she does not have seizures. Yes, she does wear glasses to drive. Ya da Ya da...

Lucky for Mikenzie, she was number 70. It only took 30 minutes for them to call our number.



Finally! #70.
Get in line.
We entertained ourselves with the various signs
that were hung around this 'gorgeous' government building.


Don't, I repeat, Don't come to the DMV without
EVERYTHING you need!!


Looks like a few people have
stood along the wall. Hmm.
(Or those are some REALLY dirty windows!)


Oh, My! We're Next!!


Our 'efficient' government worker was very nice.
(Thank Goodness!!)


Let's check those eyes out.
Yes, they are blue and beautiful,
but can you see?

Signature, please.


Just in case she ever robs a bank,
Mikenzie's fingerprints are on file
for all eternity.

Smile for the camera!!


"Here's your license until your real one comes in the mail.
Rule #1: Only 1 friend in the car for 6 months.
Rule #2: Absolutely, NO cell-phone usage or
texting in the car while driving!!
Rule #3: Obey all other rules and laws
of the State of Texas.
Rule #4: Obey all other rules and laws
set by Parents!!
(Not really, but it sounds real good, huh!!!)
"Do you agree to all these rules?"
"Yes"
"Sign on the dotted line."

It's official. I am officially the gray-haired mother of
a driving sixteen year old.

Truly, I am so proud of Mikenzie.
She is a beautiful and responsible young adult.
I suppose at some time, maybe even at the DMV,
you've got to let them spread their wings
and learn to fly.
Oh, my. Now I know what my own mother felt like
when I was sixteen years old.
It's good. It's all good.
It's official!!

4 comments:

  1. Dina, remove the temporary DL from the web. Pronto!

    Congratulations Mikenzie. Watch out when you back up. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand. Morgan got her license 6 weeks ago. I have loved it. It is an odd thing. That first day, Morgan wanted to go to the fair which was a long ways away. What could we say? It is great though. I LOVE watching them grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right they grow up way too fast. Before you can blink she will be going off to college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you can look towards the day you sre totally stressed out because she is driving a car load of kids somewhere!! The fear never stops! Go Mekenzie!! :)

    ReplyDelete