Sunday, May 3, 2009

Grateful Sundays

Thou has given me so much... Give me one thing more, a grateful heart.--George Herbert

The unthankful heart ... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and. As the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!--Henry Ward Beecher

Already the month of May. Here are a few things I'm grateful for this week (and last).

* Good Friends. Last week I had to prepare for a Stake Auxiliary Primary meeting for 40+ women. Our theme was "Feed My Sheep". Being the A type personality that I am and extremely detail oriented (to a fault) I thought it would be so fun to make some yummy individual cut-out sheep sugar cookies. These couldn't just be any old sugar cookie, they needed to be the most tasty, frosted beautifully and each individually wrapped sugar cookies. You know, cookies that could pass for the ones "Martha" would have made. I wanted to give these special sisters something that could serve as a special favor to remind everyone the wonderful evening we had, along with the other handouts I had prepared.

My dear friend, Christine, 5 months pregnant, and with an adorable 7 month-old in tow, volunteered immediately to spend the day baking and frosting with me. Anyone who knows Christine, knows she is a fabulous cook with only the most delicious recipes in her repertoire. She not only supplied me with a delicious recipe that we tripled, but also a wonderful morning and afternoon talking about our kids, our church callings and just about life in general. For her gift of time and talent, and for Good Friends, Thank You.

* Special Meetings. Twice a year, my counselors and I conduct Stake Auxiliary training for the Primary presidencies in our stake, which is comprised of 12 wards. This meeting,we also invited all of the nursery leaders as well to meet our new stake Primary nursery leader, Sister Kim Beer. We had a wonderful attendance. The theme of our meeting was "Feed My Lambs".

After our Savior was resurrected, and returned to show himself unto his disciples, he drew his apostles close to him and talked and counseled with them. He left with them some parting instructions. I often wonder if I knew my days in this life were limited, what would I want my husband and children to know? What would be the most important thoughts that I could leave with them? What would be some of my parting words to them? I'm sure the Savior was thinking these same things.

"So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith uhto him the third tme, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third tme, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus said unto him, Feed my sheep. (John 21:15-17)

Of all the things the Savior could have said to them at his parting, he pleads with them not once, not twice but three times to 'Feed His Sheep'. I'm sure he was saying, 'Teach them about me. Help them learn of me. Show them, by word and deeds, how to live so that they can return again to me someday.'

My wonderful counselors, Tracy and Laura, each shared some thoughts. Tracy talked about being a sheepherder or a shepherd. Did you know there is a difference? Yes, there is. A sheepherder is one who is hired for wages to watch over the sheep. Often he is seen at the rear of the flock, slouched down on his horse, sound asleep. Doing the work are a half-dozen or so dogs yapping and barking at the heels of the sheep. He doesn't necessarily have any feelings for the sheep. He puts in his time and goes home. Such is the life of a sheepherder.

A shepherd on the other hand, leads his flock from the front. As he turns to the left, so do his sheep. As he turns to the right, so then do his sheep. A true shepherd loves his sheep. He knows each one by name. He has compassion and genuine concern for the sheep entrusted to his care. Christ was a true shepherd, not a sheepherder. Which one are you? It's an interesting question, isn't it?

Laura talked about teaching with the Spirit. Each Primary leader can be taught by the Spirit when she prepares early. A former counselor in the general Sunday School presidency has said, "I have learned that teaching by the Spirit is to plan your lesson at least a week ahead of time; then you give the Spirit time to teach you." Elder Russel M. Nelson said he sets for himself a deadline to have the first draft of his talk for April general conference finished by January 24 and for the October conference, by July 24. "Why? Because I don't get any help from heaven until that first draft is finished. Once I'm immersed and I know were I'm going, then the Lord give me help." He said those who teach the gospel are guided by the Spirit once they are 'invested' in teaching the message. Such good counsel.

We shared a short DVD presentation called "Feed My Lambs" which tells the story of a brother and a sister given the summer task at their family farm to simply feed the lambs. The father promises that if they will feed the lambs, at the end of the summer, when they are sold, they will be given half of the profits. They excitedly agree. What the father neglects to tell his children is that these lambs have no mothers. They were shorn early in the spring and an untimely frost had killed most of them. These lambs are motherless. The children find out quickly that it is nearly impossible to feed 300 sheep 3 times a day. They devise many ways to feed the lambs. They make troughs, but the lambs don't know how to eat from a trough. They have never been taught. They find out that to feed the lambs adequately, they need to do it one at a time, with a large bottle. As the summer progresses, the coyotes begin to take the toll on their little lambs. When the lambs get unusually restless at night, the father goes outside and shoots his shotgun into the air to scare away the hungry coyotes. First, the weak ones are taken. Then the sick and starving ones become easy prey for the coyotes. It becomes not unusual to find 4-5 dead lambs each morning. It wasn't unbearably sad until the special, little lamb the girl had named comes up missing one morning. She wanders the hillside looking for her lamb and finally finds it near a little stream, dead. With tears in her eyes, she picks up her favorite lamb and cradles it under her neck and walks slowly back to the farm. She finds her father working in the barn and with tears streaming down her face, asks her father, "Isn't there anyone who can help us feed our lambs?" A caring father, gets down on his knees and stares at his daughter in her eyes and says, "There was someone long ago who asked the same question."

A grown up daughter, in retrospect, understands what her father was saying. The message is abundantly clear. Are we taking our stewardship seriously when we are entrusted to care and teach 'His little lambs?' Do we love them and nurture them as He would? He is counting on us, as his leaders and teachers to teach our precious lambs about Him and make sure they are nourished and fed with his Word.

The presentation ends with her stating, that "of the 300 lambs they cared for that summer, they were only able to save one-third."

As Primary leaders, and even as mothers, we must do all that we can to insure that our Savior's flock is given all that they need to be nourished, fed and to flourish and learn here upon this earth. It was a very awesome and sobering presentation.

Our meeting concluded with my dear friend, Angi and her sweet daughters singing, "Teacher, Do You Love Me?" It was absolutely the perfect ending to a wonderful meeting.

To say that this was a special evening would be an understatement. The Spirit was so strong in the room. Tears were shed and everyone in the room was richly blessed by their attendance this night. For the opportunity to attend, conduct and share in Special Meetings, Thank You.

* Inspired Leaders. This week we have been inundated with stories of 'Swine Flu' all over the globe. It doesn't seem too serious. I am optomistic. But I am grateful for wise and loving leaders who tell us to always be prepared for anything that might challenge us; a natural disaster, unemployment, illness, etc. "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." We have not felt panicked here in our home. We try to follow what our leaders have taught us.

Too often we bask in our comfortable complacency and rationalize that the ravages of war, economic disaster, famine, and earthquake ... cannot happen here. Those who believe this are either not acquainted with the revelations of the Lord, or they do not believe them. Those who smugly think these calamities will not happen, that they will somehow be set aside because of the righteousness of the Saints, are deceived and will rue the day they harbored such a delusion. The Lord has warned and forewarned us against a day of great tribulation and given us counsel through His servants, on how we can be prepared for these difficult times. Have we heeded His counsel?” - Ezra Taft Benson (General Conference, October 1980)

For the gift of Inspired Leaders, Thank You.

* My Sister, Danae.

In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips.
~Author Unknown

Friday was my sweet sister, Danae's 36th birthday. I've already told her that she's now closer to 40 than 30, with which she replied, "Yikes!" I've comfortingly reassured her that the 40's are a wonderful place to be, and not to be afraid.

My sister, although she is 7 years younger than me (you do the math on that one...) is someone who I look up to immensely. In my eyes she is a spiritual giant, an exemplary mother, a caring daughter, a compassionate friend, a loving wife and an inspiring sister. I am grateful for the incredible gift she has been to me in my life. She has taught and continues to teach me many things through her example and the quiet way in which she lives her life.

It's true, just like the quote above states, Danae, you ARE the chocolate chips in my life. Why choose the simple, yet delicous sugar cookie when you can have the over-the top, scrumptious, roll-your-eyes-back-in-your-head, ooey, gooey, warm and tasty, milk chocolate chip (with walnuts) Chocolate Chip Cookie? For the gift of my Sweet Sister, Danae, Thank You.

p.s. I can't wait for all of my friends here in Texas to meet her. She's coming to visit in June!! You're going to LOVE her!! Check out her new blog, http://www.justgiveitawhirl-danae.blogspot.com/. You'll love her inspiring ideas!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful meeting. I'm sure the sisters walked out of that meeting feeling very grateful that they went. You're amazing! (any pictures of the cute cookies?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dina. You are too kind. Thank you for the lovely words. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great meeting!! Dina style!! I need pictures....

    ReplyDelete