Sunday, February 8, 2009

Grateful Sundays

Gratitude
Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings, thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.
Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible, thank you, Lord, that I can see. Many are blind.
Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising, thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.
Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned and tempers are short, my children are so loud, thank you, Lord, for my family. There are many who are lonely.
Even though our breakfast table never looks like the pictures in magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced, thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.
Even though the routine of my job often is monotonous, thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.
Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest, thank you, Lord, for life!

---Anonymous

Here are a few things I'm grateful for this week.

* Modern Technology. My Handsome Husband is out of the country. I am thankful for the gift of modern technology in the way of computers, cell-phones, and yes, even the Blackberry that lets me know he is happy and safe. It even provides a way for us to communicate with him even when he's half way around the world.

* Righteous Daughters. This week Mikenzie and Sydnie went with the youth of our ward to do baptisms for the dead at the Dallas Temple. I am thankful for daughters who live their lives to be able to worthily enter the House of the Lord and are willing to give others who have gone before us, the same opportunity to have the blessings of the gospel that we enjoy here on earth. Your example to me is inspiring. Thank you, girls.

* Home Teachers. As I write this post, I am looking at a computer jerry-rigged by a handy Home Teacher. Ron Ludlow. Last week, I carelessly moved my computer desk and the corner of a picture frame fell on my lap top and broke the crystals in my screen. My keyboard works, fine, but the screen is a big mess of vertical lines. This wouldn't have been so bad, except that my Handsome Husband is out of the country for nearly 2 weeks. What to do? No computer? No email? No blog-posting? I placed a quick phone call to our Faithful Home Teacher who came right over and fixed me right up. He took an old monitor from the attic and hooked it right into my lap top. Now my computer is (almost) as good as new. Ron, your dedication to our family for nearly the last 5 years is so very much appreciated!! Thank you.

* A World Wide Church - Today, I had the privilege of attending the Euless 3rd ward for their ward conference. It is a wonderful ward full of Tongan members of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love the Polynesian people. They are so warm and hospitable. We were welcomed to their ward with beautiful Gardenia leis. The fragrance was intoxicating. Their meetings, all except Primary, are conducted in Tongan. Have you ever been in a meeting where you cannot understand a word? Not even the hymns? Luckily, for me, I was given a translator radio to listen to. (There's modern technology, again.) Their bishop spoke about how to Come Unto Christ. Then the youth of their ward sang Teach Me to Walk in the Light both in English and Tongan. I don't know if you've ever heard the Tongan people sing. But boy, can they sing!!! They sing loud! They know every word of every song!! We could learn a thing or two from them. They know their voices are ment to sing praises to God, and they do!! After their beautiful song, President Nielsen spoke. We are so blessed to have not only a living prophet to lead and guide us, but also stake and local leaders who have a desire to share their wisdom and love with all of us. Then, I spent the next hour and half in Primary. I am so thankful to be able to share my musical talent with the children in this ward who don't have a regular pianist. There is no greater joy than hearing these sweet Tongan children sing the Primary songs proudly, loudly and lovingly as they share their testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ through music and song. And if that wasn't wonderful enough, we were invited to share a delicious afternoon meal that they had prepared to show their appreciation to us for our visit. Unbelievable. Their generosity and graciousness was so humbling. It was indeed our privledge to be in their presence this day. Today, I was reminded that no matter where on this earth we are; Texas, Tonga or anyplace in between, we are all children of a loving God.

2 comments:

  1. How fun. In our ward in PGH, we had several Tongan's and they were the ones we could hear in the congregation, too. I loved it! Such a zest for life and the gospel... no shame what-so-ever! Also, we all really looked forward when they were in charge of the "linger longers" Awesome food! What a neat experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina, Saturday mornings at the Jordan River Temple chapel is when the Tongans have their own session. They congregate in the back of the chapel and sing (all parts by heart)the hymns in their native language. If you happen to be in the front of the chapel when they are singing, you will be surrounded in their lovely music. It may be tears to your eyes. Yes, it does unite us into one gospel and one people. Beautiful people!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete