Saturday, January 17, 2009

Friday Night Date - Doc Severinson

Who doesn't remember watching Johnny Carson after the news when they were a kid? I used to curl up on the couch with a big, tall glass of chocolate milk and watch Johnny, Ed, and Doc, the flamboyantly dressed trumped player who was also director of 'The Tonight Show Band'. Now we have Jay, Dave, Conan, and a few others, but nobody will ever replace Johnny.

Last night, my Handsome Husband took me to the Bass Hall to see Doc Severinsen and the quartet El Ritmo de la Vida (which means The Rhythm of Life), accompanied by the Fort Worth Symphony.

First, let me say, we were the 'youngsters' in the crowd. Many 'seasoned couples' came to enjoy this evening as well. Other than the gray hair on Doc's head, you'd think he hadn't aged a day since leaving Johnny's stage.

We enjoyed every note, from the first to the last. According to the Star Telegram this morning, "The program could be broadly called Latin jazz, made up of beguiling ventures into traditional Mexican music, Argentine tango, Spanish flamenco and gypso jazz." I couldn't believe the talent in these amazing musicians. The guitarist's fingers moved so quickly you literally couldn't even see them. The violinist didn't look at a note of music all evening. The bass player added the unbelievably beautiful bass tones that added the perfect finish. The percussionist was...unbelievable! And Doc, well, at 81 he is still probably one of the most accomplished trumpet players on the planet.

I love music. Really good music. "Music is what feelings sound like." "Music is love in search of a word." As I sat there last night listening to these Latin musicians, I was aware that music is a gift given to each of us, whether we play an instrument or not. It is a way that God has given us to understand one another, regardless of the language that we speak. With music, we bypass the spoken word and literally speak directly to one another's soul. I am thankful that last night I was able to understand every 'word'. Thanks to the Music.

The program.


Doc Severinson and his 'crazy' Latin outfit.
(He still looks good!)


Doc, the Band and the Orchestra receiving
a standing ovation.


I'm always grateful for an evening with my Handsome Husband.

2 comments:

  1. Dina - You're a blogging maniac! Looks like you had a lot of fun. And, I wish Lila and I could have been to the American Girl party. So cute! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Queen blogger!! Boy once you get going you are on FIRE!! Now you teach me how to post the music on a blog! Sounds fun. That sounds way better than TSO concert...Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete